PICTURE

Monday 12 September 2016

Third-Trimester Woes

I've been relatively symptom free for most of my pregnancy - I cannot complain. I've not been plagued by morning sickness, I have no intense cravings for pickles and my general pain is subdued if not barely there at all. I've been lucky, yes, but that doesn't mean I've been entirely unaffected by pregnancy. This third trimester especially has brought a few unwanted aches and pains, albeit  unrelated to my physical health....

36 wks pregnant update bump progress

1. Socks are just a no-go.
I can still see my feet, sure, I just can't get anywhere near them. Imagine a beach ball is permanently glued to your abdomen. I say glued because there is absolutely no give or take here whatsoever, it's just there. Reaching anywhere below kneecaps is something akin to a military operation - putting on socks in the morning can only be likened to a hard core Tabata workout and will require a 6 minute recovery period immediately after.

2. Shaving the lower body is now just a hindrance. 
If I can't reach below my knee caps, it goes without saying that shaving my lower legs is all but impossible. At this point I'm still doing well to stay well kept, but shaving in the bath requires lifting my legs in ways I didn't even think was possible at this stage, and I legitimately hit the breathless stage before I've even done one shin. Even with my efforts - the other half has made many a Chewbacca comment in the past few weeks.

If that wasn't bad enough, lets not forget that keeping your lady parts neat and tidy is now all but impossible... Attacking at your crotch blindly with a sharp implement is not my idea of a relaxing pamper night, and if it wasn't for the prospect of consultant appointments I would be well and truly embracing the natural look.

3. Baby hiccups are NOT cute.
At first, by all means, bubbas hiccups are adorable. It makes the little growing entity within more of a person and less of a little raisin, as I liked to call him in the first few months. A few months later though, and I'm sick to the back teeth of them. The only way I can think to describe them is like a permanent ticking clock deep within... I can't sleep with a noisy clock in my room, I focus in on it so easily, and baby hiccups are so similar to that. Just a regular, incessant ticking, which does my bloody head in!

4. More time is spent counting down than doing anything else.
I was always counting down, from the get go, but I'd say the minute I hit 35 weeks I turned into a walking, talking calendar. Right now (8:49am) I've already given myself my daily pep talk based on babies arrival being

- 4 weeks on Friday
- 12 more full working days away
- 2 mondays left to work
- 3 episodes of Great British Bake Off

For all I know I'll go 2 weeks over my due date, but if I do, I'll get through just creating more countdowns.

5. Bubba gets on your nerves, literally.
I had bad cramp in my calves during the second trimester, only during the night, I'd wake up feeling like my leg was falling off and wishing death upon myself. Right now though, I'd welcome that back. Recently I've been experiencing the weirdest sensation in my lower back/legs - imagine a dead arm but across the entirety of your lower body. I'm guessing bubba shifts onto one of my nerves, causing spasms, but every time it happens I'm forced to drag one leg looking like a slightly worse for wear pirate...

6. You pee, a lot.
By midday I'll be on upwards of 20 toilet trips, with no exaggeration. I spend more time walking to the toilet at work than doing anything else.


I'm reluctant to call these symptoms - to me, symptoms require pain, and I'll be the first to proclaim that I'm relatively pain free. I'm uncomfortable and impatient at this stage, but not in pain, so I'll gladly deal with these niggles for a few more weeks. If you've been pregnant, what were your final trimester woes? Praying I can make it through the next 4 weeks as comfortably as I have done so far, but I feel it's only fair my luck may be drawing to an end. Fingers crossed for me. Thanks for reading guys,

Share:

7 comments

  1. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm pregnant with my second and I'm 20 weeks and you're right, all you seem to do is count down isn't it! With my first baby I had really easy pregnancy and sailed through my trimesters with no real pain like yourself. But then I got to my due date and I was just so uncomfortable, couldn't sit on the sofa without fidgeting to get comfy and sleeping in bed was just laughable! One night I actually attempted to sit up right in my husbands office chair and sleep that way but I was paranoid about falling off so didn't actually get any sleep!! Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not even in my third trimester yet and the weeing situation is so bad! It's constant! xx
    Glossy Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly, a massive congrats on your pregnancy! I loved reading this post, super interesting and full of things to bear in mind for the future! Keep up the good work!

    - Jade x

    https://jadelsia.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried having a pamper shave the other day in the bath...I struggled and I haven't even got a bump yet! I ended up with half shaved legs and a strange looking mohawk lady garden! 😂 But at least your counting down via Bake Off! Your nearly there lovely, keep going! :)

    Jess @ JuicyyyJesss

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these are so true! Except I loved being pregnant and didn't really mind any of these. The post-partum part is the part that gets me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you on the hiccups not being cute, I was so over them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, girl. I could imagine how difficult doing pretty much anything that requires you to reach below your knees would be. Just think: it'll all be worth it in the end! Congratulations and all the best to your growing family! :3

    Christie's Take on Life. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I make sure to reply to them all, your words mean a lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog Design Created by pipdig