PICTURE

Friday 11 November 2016

H is Three Weeks Old

newborn baby three week update milestone cards
I swear I only wrote Harrisons' two week update a few days ago - these weeks are absolutely flying by, and I have no idea how to slow them down. I know I say it every single update, but I truly cannot fathom the fact that next week little chunk will be a month old already. I think it's about time we get over the month mark so I can move onto monthly updates rather than weekly, as doing weekly updates just highlights how quickly these weeks are actually going.

Harrison has had a great week this week, as have I. We finally made a little bit of a breakthrough with sleep, and he's been managing to keep his milk down, which he hadn't been doing up until now. It's baby steps, but we're slowly but surely adjusting, and he's coming on leaps and bounds with every week, and is already becoming a little character.

What The Midwife Says

He's a spotty little man right now - Jordan claims he gets it from me but I disagree, and so does the midwife. It's a hormone surge right now, and should pass in the next few days, but for now, he looks like a dotty teenager in need of a little Clearasil; it's a good thing he's still cute. He's gaining weight well now - his birth weight was 8lbs 1oz, at 2 weeks old 8lbs 13oz, and at 3 weeks he was 9lbs 10oz, so he's growing pretty rapidly now. Everyone who's seen him this week has commented on how much bigger he's gotten, he's definitely not looking like a newborn anymore!

Sleep

Slowly but surely he's sleeping more and more, it's an extra ten minutes here and there, but it really is making all the difference. We've started experimenting with White Noise toys, and those have helped us a lot (I think), and we've found that swaddling him at night means he settles into a deeper sleep a lot quicker, although when he wakes up it's a different story, as he absolutely hates being confined when he's awake. He's still a little bit of a sook and just doesn't like being put down, but I'm taking everyone's advice and just lapping up the newborn cuddles, it won't be long before it's too late.
newborn update 3 weeks old dungarees baby next

Feeding

What a grubber - that's all I will say. Using the Infacol has meant that he's a lot more comfortable while feeding, and provided we burp him every 30ml or so, he keeps down his feed, which is probably why he's grown so much this week. He is a really windy baby, so it's just a matter of finding ways to make him more comfortable: I actually came across the Babocrush a few days ago, so if anyone has any experience with this I'd love to hear about it. It's fairly expensive but if it works then it would be completely worth the money, but I'll play it by ear in the next few weeks. Harrison is now up at 5oz every couple of hours, and here's hoping he stays there, we're going through milk like no-one's business over here!

Milestones

Mum and Dad had their first proper outing without little Chunk at 3 weeks old, my heart was breaking pretty much the entire time, and poor gran was inundated with texts asking for updates and pictures, but it was good to get out and see a lot of people we hadn't seen in a while, and support our friends at their engagement party. I will say that a night out is not worth it at all with a child, I spent half the time worrying, the other half showing everyone at the party pictures of Harrison, and the entire next day even more exhausted than before.

He only woke up once during the night. I'll leave out the part that he only actually done this one night out of the seven, but still, I woke up feeling like a new girl. Actually, that's a bit of a lie, I woke up every 2 hours wondering why he didn't want a feed, but I still woke up ten times more refreshed than normal. (Too bad the night after he was back to three wake up calls, but still, I'm holding on to hope here!)

For some reason I'm completely mind blanking right now, there must be more surely, but I can't think of any, baby brain really is a thing. He's had a great week, just no proper milestones.

What Would We Have Done Without...

Our standout products for the past few weeks or so have been the
- Whisbear Humming Bear: I'd mentioned in other weeks that we'd been using white noise apps on our phone during the night, but this week we used the Whisbear, and we found it worked brilliantly for little Harrison. We've also tried the myHummy Bear, and that was also a brilliant product, so we've been lucky to have found them. If you haven't already checked it out, our Whisbear review is live now, and we're giving away a bear now!
white noise newborn sleep hacks whisbear humming bear

- The Gro Company Swaddles: As I said earlier, we've been swaddling Harrison at night, and we'd been given a few swaddles by The Gro Company at our baby shower, so have been getting good use out of them. I can't speak for the brand as I've never tried any other swaddles, so I don't really have anything to compare them to, but they've worked well for us.

-Infacol: Infacol is brilliant for windy babies or with those suffering from colic. I don't know if it's just him getting used to feeding and his milk, but since we introduced Infacol he's been a lot more settled and he's a lot easier to wind. We went with the better safe than sorry option and figured we were better off giving him it than not, as it wouldn't hurt him, but we've had only good results so far.

What About Mum?

Mum's great. I'm world's apart from last week - if you told me all I needed was to go back to the gym, take little extra help from my mum, and give the visitors a rest for a few days, then I'd have told you that you were probably crazy, but that's all it really took. I never realised how down I was in the first two weeks until now, but I'm feeling so much better already, and I'm just hoping it continues this way so I can enjoy all of my time with baby Harrison. Of the three stone I gained whilst pregnant, I've lost two, and I am aiming to lose the last one by the end of this year, although I'm trying not to push it too much, as hard as that is for me. I'd much rather just go gung-ho and lose every pound I've gained as quickly as possible, but that's probably not the smartest, so I'm trying to take it slow.

I'll leave off on the lovely reality of trying to take pictures of a less than eager model..
newborn update 3 weeks old dungarees baby next





Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, I make sure to reply to them all, your words mean a lot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog Design Created by pipdig